- Sergei Kharitonov, an MMA fighter, has made a sequence of outlandish, unfounded statements on Instagram this month.
- First, he mentioned he traveled to Moscow to hunt out unwell individuals who have been coughing so he might stand close by and attempt to breathe-in the virus and “really feel what it was like.”
- He additionally mentioned masks are for clowns.
- Kharitonov’s feedback are harmful. As of Friday, there have 5,128,492 confirmed instances of COVID-19, of which 326,448 are in Russia.
- Go to Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
A Russian MMA fighter tried to get coronavirus by standing close to individuals who cough and mentioned solely clowns put on masks to keep away from COVID-19.
Meet Sergei Kharitonov, a 39-year-old puncher with 20 knockouts from 30 wins (eight submissions and a pair of selections) in opposition to seven losses.
Kharitonova has notably fought in Pleasure FC, Strikeforce, and Bellator MMA, and gained his most up-to-date struggle when he knocked out Fernando Rodrigues Jr. on the World Complete Kombat Federation 5 present in February.
The fighter is probably as well-known for his in-cage exploits as he’s his unfounded skepticism concerning the coronavirus. He even mentioned on Instagram that those that put on masks to guard them from the infectious illness are clowns.
“We’ll be sporting these muzzles for a very long time, if solely docs wore them in hospitals earlier than, then now they’ve dressed the whole world in them,” Kharitonov mentioned earlier this week.
“They do not simply giggle however are laughing their heads off at us, we’re clowns for them.”
It isn’t the primary time Kharitonov has made a remark which works in opposition to worldwide well being recommendation.
The World Well being Group, for instance, recommends common hand-washing, social-distancing, and says mask-wearing may help care-providers preserve these they look after protected from COVID-19. It additionally recommends sporting a masks when you’ve got any coronavirus signs, like a fever or coughing.
Earlier this month, Bloody Elbow reported that Kharitonov mentioned he was attempting to get the coronavirus by standing close to individuals who have been coughing.
“I even admit actually that after I was in Moscow, I went to locations the place folks cough,” the fighter mentioned. “I needed to attempt to get this coronavirus myself, to really feel what it’s like, what sort of virus it’s.
“Sadly or happily, that didn’t occur. Apparently my immune system works.”
As of Friday, there are 5,128,492 confirmed instances of COVID-19 on the earth, of which 326,448 are in Russia.
There have been 333,489 deaths worldwide.