Cody Garbrandt nonetheless has it.
Shortly after the 10-second clacker sounded in Spherical 2, Garbrandt (12-Three MMA, 7-Three UFC) landed a vicious proper hook that flattened Raphael Assuncao with one second left. Out on influence, Assuncao (27-Eight MMA, 11-5 UFC) crumpled to the canvas facedown, forcing referee Keith Peterson to wave off the combat.
The opening spherical was a tactical chess match. The amount of strikes thrown was low. Each fighters stayed at a distance, with Garbrandt focusing on the low calf of Assuncao, who was consistently switching stances.
In Spherical 2, the tempo picked up. Garbrandt returned to focusing on Assuncao’s leg, which was sporting injury. Halfway by the spherical, Garbrandt linked on his greatest strike of the combat – a punch, which knocked Assuncao off steadiness. The playful trash speak picked up, with Assuncao claiming he slipped on Garbrandt’s punch.
The dialog was all for not, nonetheless, as the following large punch was the final. Sneaking in an enormous punch simply earlier than the horn sounded, Garbrandt picked up his first victory since December 2016.
Garbrandt snaps a three-fight dropping skid relationship again to his title loss to T.J. Dillashaw in November 2017. As for Assuncao, the Brazilian bantamweight has misplaced three straight fights for the primary time in his skilled profession.
The bantamweight bout was the UFC 250 co-main occasion on the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on ESPN/ESPN+ and early prelims on UFC Combat Move/ESPN+.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 250 outcomes embrace:
- Cody Garbrandt def. Raphael Assuncao through knockout (punch) – Spherical 2, 4:59
- Aljamain Sterling def. Cory Sandhagen through submission (rear-naked choke) — Spherical 1, 1:28
- Neil Magny def. Anthony Rocco Martin through unanimous resolution (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Sean O’Malley def. Eddie Wineland through KO (punch) — Spherical 1, 1:54
- Alex Caceres def. Chase Hooper through unanimous resolution (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ian Heinisch def. Gerald Meerschaert through TKO (punches) — Spherical 1, 1:14
- Cody Stamann def. Brian Kelleher through unanimous resolution (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Maki Pitolo def. Charles Byrd through TKO (punches) – Spherical 2, 1:10
- Alex Perez def. Jussier Formiga through TKO (leg kicks) – Spherical 1, 4:06
- Devin Clark def. Alonzo Menifield through unanimous resolution (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Herbert Burns def. Evan Dunham through submission (rear-naked choke) – Spherical 1, 1:20